One night, many years ago, I was awake and fretting.  As a teacher, this isn’t that uncommon.  Even when a child appears to be thriving, the responsibility for another parent’s child is a heavy one,.  When a child is troubled and acting out, then much mental energy is expended to determine the cause and the solution.  When a child is troubled, acting out, and the parents are blaming you, it can be unbearable.  I remember lying awake, heart pounding, tossing and turning, imagining all the possible scenarios for the next day, when out of nowhere, I heard a voice.  Not only did I hear the voice, I felt it surge through my brain.  This voice that I firmly believe was God’s voice said very clearly, “Be still and know that I am God.”  I wasn’t praying when I heard it.  I wasn’t thinking about God when I heard it.  God spoke and I listened!  I lay very still in the darkness feeling chastised as if a parent had caught me reading under the covers with a flashlight! I realized that I had been blessed by a Savior who knew me and cared about me and apparently, wanted me to go to sleep!  So I did.  It wasn’t until some months later that I was reading my bible and I came upon those words, “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10.  It is probable that I had heard or read them in the past at some point, but I had no memory of encountering them until they were seared into my brain on a sleepless night.  I’m humbled by God’s love and grace. R.C.


Relate 2 the Bible Podcast