My name is Denise, and I was born with a different formation of the 15th chromosome. It causes issues with the connective tissue called Marfan Syndrome. This is a genetic disorder that affects connective tissues (tissue that supports the skeleton and internal organs). It commonly affects the eyes, heart, blood vessels and skeleton. I have had over 32 surgeries and one amputation of my lower left leg. I am 58 years old, and Jesus Christ has been by my side every step of the way. 

One of the biggest concerns when it comes to Marfan Syndrome is that they keep watching the measurements of the aorta. The aorta can easily tear or dissect in Marfan patients. A doctor once told me that most people have a sturdy aorta like the strength of a garden hose, an exaggeration but it’s good for the explanation. He continued to tell me, " Your aorta, my dear, has the strength of panty hose. Shocking isn’t it? Yet, David, a servant of God, tells us this in Psalms 139.

Psalms 139:14-16

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful; I know that full well. 

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 

I see this as an opportunity for my Lord and Savior to shine. I was aware of God because my parents took me to church from birth. I would ride my horse and talk to God.  However, Jesus invited me to be in a relationship with Him at the age of 13.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

It took a long time to get my teaching degree due to the fact that I was legally blind at the age of three from hitting my head on a coffee table like every other toddler. However, the connective tissue let go of my lenses and I could only see out of the bottom fourth of my eyes. My eyes were restructured at age 31. Praise God! I can see very well now!   D.E.

Relate 2 the Bible Podcast